Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Blissful Bestie Weekend

I was soooooo happy to have my girl Kandi here this weekend.  Not only was it great to see her, it was fun being pregnant together.  This is her second time around and she is a relaxed, common-sense, awesome mommy.  Christian took full advantage of her expertise and started interviewing her from the moment she got here.  Here is a pic of her teaching him the various options for cloth diapering on our stuffed dog:


We talked a lot about baby equipment.  They both thought I was a little nutty for being interested in a baby-wearing class taught by the fabulous Gillian Foreman, but when we started looking around for a baby carrier we realized how much there is to know!  It's amazing!  Especially when I see women from Africa carry babies on their backs like it's nothin.  Back in my Nanny days, Bianca really liked this kangaroo pouch thingy that was a sling. It seems to have gone out business, but I have fond memories of putting Zephyr to sleep just by walking around the block in it.  Kandi and Aaron used the Moby for a while and also recommended the Bjorn and a sturdier back-pack style for when Chio is older.  Here is Christian trying on the Ergo (which I already know from baby-sitting experience does terrible things to my back and shoulders):




I lucked out today and bought a used Babyhawk Mei Tai-style carrier from the list-serve.  We are thinking I'll be more comfortable in that while Christian uses the Bjorn.

In addition to all this baby research, Christian had a lot of questions for Kandi about buying a house, living in Olympia, taxes, etc.  We are looking forward to, one day, being closer to her family.  We miss them so much.

On Saturday night, Kandi and I met up with some coworkers of mine and saw a screening of SISTER, a documentary about health care workers that are trying to help pregnant women in three of the most devastated countries in the world.  Though we all appreciated the intent behind the film, this was NOT the best free-time activity choice for two happy pregnant ladies.  Thank God my coworkers knew how to even out the mood with some after-film tacos, funny conversation and positive energy.  I am thinking this is one of the skills we learn working in the Bronx.  Our hearts are both broken and lifted daily by the women we work with.  I couldn't be more happy to have these fabulous midwives (Rosanne, Sharwon and Annie to name a few) bear the weight with me and keep me sane.

Another amazing thing that happened this weekend was my shower!!!  As soon as I upload photos I'll tell you all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment